Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Are the terrorists winning yet?

After the 9/11 attacks on the U.S., the observation "if we do 'such-and-such' the terrorists have won" quickly became a cliche and then a joke. But, dare I ask, is it possible they are winning?

I won't pretend I can get into the heads of people who fly planes into buildings, but if I had to guess what their goal was, I would say to start a war between Islam and the West. And they seem to be succeeding.

The West is now bogged down in wars against Muslims in Afghanistan and Iraq. It has just had a nasty war with Muslims in Lebanon and is brutalizing Muslims in Gaza (taking the reasonable liberty of including Israel in the West). The leading Western nation, the United States, is obsessed with Muslim extremism to the point of corrupting its own democracy and liberties, an attack on Iran is not out of the question, and American neo-cons and fundamentalists are referring to all this as World War III.

Is this enough evidence? Are the terrorists winning? Tell me it isn't true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home