Monday, January 16, 2006

Hurrah for Chile! Kudos, Liberia! Canada? ... not so much

What a long road Chile has travelled in a very short time, from a murderous dictatorship in 1989 to electing a woman president in 2006. Chileans have freely chosen Michelle Bachelet to lead their country, the first woman in South America to be so elected on her own merits.

Not to be outdone, Liberians elected Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf president, the first African woman to become a head of state.

While these heartwarming breakthroughs occur elsewhere, here in Canada the leaders of all four major parties are, as usual, greying white men. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not an ageist. Speaking as an older person myself, I believe we should be offered equality of opportunity. Nor am I a racist. Speaking as a white person, I believe we should not suffer discrimination. Nor am I a sexist. Speaking as a man, even though we may be less worthy than women, I believe we should be treated equally.

But must all the leaders of the political parties, all the big city mayors, all the premiers and the prime minister, be men? Is it not obvious there is something terribly wrong with a political system that routinely consigns half the population to serving rather than leading? If countries as disparate as Chile and Liberia can elect women to the top job, surely we can. If it takes affirmative action, bring it on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home